Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Challenge

In a fit of arrogance I made a challenge to Alastair Stephens (co host of the Story Wonk Podcast). If he did Script Frenzy then I would do NaNoWriMo (50k words) in April.

Of course he accepted and I had a brief flash of "$%#@ you weren't supposed to say yes!" Then I remembered that I'm a superhuman writer and can do anything ;-) (including dyeing my hair red this weekend :-P I'll post a picture soon).

This is actually perfect timing for me. I just started rewriting "What the Night Keeps" last week. I've got all my immersion/discovery stuff done for it (see previous posts), so all I need to do is to write it. That sounds so easy until you start. This is when writing challenges can be really handy. They give you the deadlines and the structure (sadly something a lot of writers lack) to get that first draft down on paper. It also gives you someone to be accountable to. I don't know about you, but when I'm the only one who knows I'm working on some project I tend to let things slide.

And to put my word count where my mouth is, I'll be posting weekly word count updates here. If I don't you have full permission to scold me ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment