Saturday, December 18, 2010

Book Review: Way of the Wolf

I just finished reading Way of the Wolf by E. E. Knight.


The story follows the life of David Valentine in the year 2065. Earth has been taken over by a vampiric alien race (they're actually a lot cooler then that sounds). While there are some who have simply given up and accepted their new lives as workers/food, there are some that resist the Kurians. David is one of those people. He has been trained to be a Wolf, a group of guerrilla fighters that patrol the borderlands.

Truth be told I wasn't all that into the story until I was nearly two hundred pages in, but Knight's beautiful way with description kept drawing me in. And considering I have the attention span of a gnat, that's saying a lot. Way of the Wolf is a dark Fantasy/Sci fi, so there is a good bit of blood and death, but I didn't find it excessive. I think some of the darkness is offset by the good ending (and that's all I'll say about that ;-) ). Over all I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Choice of the Cat.

I would highly recommend this book, especially for writers who struggle with writing good description. Really pay attention to how Knight uses words and you can learn a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment